Thursday, December 11, 2008


I ran with a old friend yesterday. We've been running together for a bit over a month now. Our lives have been so parallel, but at times we lose contact. We were in the same homeroom together all 4 years of high school, and probably never uttered a hello. Then about 12 years ago I left the oncology(cancer) unit and transferred down to the ED, where she was my preceptor. ED nursing was a bit overwhelming at first, it was an entire new world. She was patient with me and gave me confidence when I lacked it. I was amazed at her brilliance as a nurse, and aspired to be like her. Two years later, when I was ready to enter the cardiac/trauma rooms, there she was , ready to be my preceptor and mentor me once again. Through our years in the ED we formed a bond, many of my true friends, I have made from that ED. Saving and losing lives together brings this sort of trust, I really can't explain it. It was my favorite time as a nurse.

She and I unfortunately also had another thing in common, our brothers. Both addicted to alcohol, in my case, drugs and alcohol. They were both thorns in our mother's sides always causing some kind of pain. Then 3 years ago, my brother took his life on Christmas Day- how sad, I watched people fight for their lives in that ED and he just takes his. OK... SO I'M STILL ANGRY! Here's the sad part, 2 years ago, her brother commits suicide also. A truly unfortunate thing that we both now have in common, but it's there, another bond. I remember a few months after her brother died she asked me how I handle it so well. You see, my dad killed himself 12 years ago. So I'm like the expert at surviving this shit! I told her I run. It is probably no coincidence that I did my first marathon a year or so after my dad died. Endurance sports bring a beautiful pain to your life. Crossing finish lines after suffering, now that is living! I want to be the opposite of my dad and bro-they were weak, quitters in life, I am not!!!

Well guess who starts working out this year, my friend! She started in January and has already lost 50 lbs, so a bit over a month ago, I call her and tell her she must come run the "magical forest" with me. I know, she will understand and appreciate it's peace and beauty. I encourage and push her and hopefully give her the confidence that she gave me so many years ago as a nurse. I can see that she is learning to love running. I know that it is healing from the inside out, AND I almost have her convinced to sign up for a marathon!!! She is up to seven miles now, and she will run her first 5k on Sunday. I vow I will run it with her and leave my ego behind. We will run side by side no matter how long it takes, two survivors!

5 comments:

Reid said...

GO GIRLS GO!!! We're cheering for both of you here in NC. You've been blessed to have such a friend. She may not be Diabetic, but no difference. Look at the healing power, the pure inspiration that your conviction serves to help others. Proud to be your team mate!

Trashman

jpnairn said...

I'm happy and proud to have you as a teammate also, Denise. Thanks for sharing this very touching story of how you and your friend have supported each other through some difficult times.
May we learn from your courage and strength.

Anne Findlay said...

thanks for sharing this story. I'm sorry you have had to deal with these things. I agree, though, that exercise is a good outlet, and am glad that you have been able to share this with your friend. I'm looking forward to training with you this year.

Unknown said...

It's interesting how people with the same genetics can be such opposites, and people with no connection except friendship can be so similar. Your clear love of life and desire to improve sets you apart from most - and luckily your friend has you there to show her that she can do the same.

Sean said...

I have a saying I try to keep close that says in part, "We cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude... I am convinced that life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it." Thanks for reinforcing that! You're making a difference to many out there.