Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Running Low!

Well, I did the 5k with my friend 2 weeks ago and we crossed together, just as I promised her. It was quite an amazing experience to be with someone at their first race ever. Everything was so new and exciting to her and when she crossed the finish line, she cried. I guess it was her journey there that created those tears, but they were so heartfelt, and it reminded me the power of exercise.

Everyday I'm out there I feel lucky. I think about all the patients and people I have come across that only wish they could do half of what we do. That's where I got my saying, We Get To Do This, my friends laugh, but when were out there suffering, I'm always screaming that! So even last week when my blood sugar went to a all time low of 24 while I was running, I just reset my game plan and shortened my run. Yes, that is right, 24---I knew I didn't feel right so I said to my 2 friends about 3 miles in, I need to check my sugar...23...recheck...24---oh shit, 8 miler not happening today-I ate my 3 packs of sharkies approx 100gms of carbs, and carried on till the 5 mile mark where I called it a day, with a ending sugar of 60. My two babysitters stayed with me, that is how I felt, I could see they were concerned but I didn't want to ruin their run, I told them to continue on, but my BFF actually followed me home. I truly felt like I was 8 years old and had a babysitter, but I secretly thought it was cool that I was still running with a sugar of 24! Anyhow, what prompted this horrible sugar, well more of my ridiculous behavior. I started with a sugar of about 360, bolused 4 units and turned my basal off, well I am learning all too quickly that I really can't bolus anything more than about 1.5 units before a run. (Thanks Anne) Gee, you would think I was new at this shit, I mean, I've been diabetic since age 14, have finished 15 marathons, 3 ironmans, 2 50k's, but the truth is, I kind of lived in denial of my diabetes. I hardly ever checked my sugar and would just always be happy between 200-300, oh... I'm lying maybe it was even higher, I hardly ever checked. How dumb, I know. When people would say to me, "I didn't know you had diabetes.." my usual response was "oh no I don't, I have the pump, it's my portable pancreas" and I would laugh. So this journey toward normal sugars while exercising and living is continuing to be a challenge, but I've never been afraid of challenges it's part of what drives me. Reading my Triabetes teamate blogs has helped too, realizing that we all go through this, but, some really seem to have it figured out much better than I, so I am learning, and aspiring to be more like them. I am also happy to report that my sugar detox is going pretty well, other than a run in with buttercream the other day!!! I've lost 3 pounds and we are almost through these holidays!

Well I'm off to sleep before work tonight, yes working on Christmas Eve 7p-7a, but hey I'm looking on the bright side, time and a half after 11pm! Happy Holidays!

1 comment:

Anne Findlay said...

yeah I agree that we are fortunate in so many ways to be able to "do this" stuff. And I assume that even the most "perfect"-appearing diabetic has his or her own struggles.

For years so many people would say, "Your diabetes is so well-controlled," and I would think, "You have no idea! It's a disaster!" I knew a lot but have struggled since college keeping a tight rein on things. I had no idea until a couple years ago that other type 1's routinely had BG's > 200 and wondered what my deal was. On the other hand, getting to know others has also helped me to improve certain aspects of my diabetes control.

Anyway, Merry Christmas! I hope you can relax a little Christmas day, anyhow.

-Anne